Chapter Seventeen: 

I stared at the board, attempting to comprehend what the teacher was scribbling down. Since the concert, I’ve been trying to bring my grades up to at least a B plus. So far, I have only brought four out of my five classes up to that: Language Arts, Spanish, Social Studies, and Science. The one class I have not yet met my goal is — the worst — Geometry. 

James and I usually talk during the lessons, so I never know what we’re going over. I end up failing the tests and the quizzes, and then, what do you know, I’m at a big, fat F. James kept trying to strike up a conversation with me, but I waved him off because I want to pass this class so I never have to take it again (and so that Mom lets me stay in choir). 

I scribbled down in my textbook as the teacher went over trigonometry. It had to be the hardest thing to ever cross my mind. It was so…incomprehensible. Just looking at the board made my head spin. I contemplated asking questions, but the class is already so far ahead in this lesson, I was afraid of what I would ask would make me sound idiotic. 

This morning had me shook. I felt like I was imagining things. How could I be in love with James? I haven’t even known him for a year! And, we were playing the piano. How can you expect things not to be romantic when you’re playing the piano with someone?

But, the way his hands were over mine — it was nice. It felt like the hands were puzzle pieces and they were meant to go together. 

I don’t know what it’s like to be in love with someone. It’s never happened to me before. It’s not like in prison you can get a boyfriend or girlfriend — everyone hates each other. I guess the only time I had seen people be somewhat loving in prison was when a parent came in for visiting hours. It was like their whole persona had changed from furious to warm-hearted as soon as their mom or dad came through the door. 

Sam had told me once: “Boyfriends are a waste of time. They don’t actually care about you. All they do is hold your hand and flash you that ‘I’m yours and yours only’ smile. But, it’s all fake because once you think he’s the one, he breaks your heart and says you’re not his type.”

While her words may be of wisdom, I think what she said was primarily based on her own experience with boyfriends. After all, Sam was two years older than me, so she had more of a life than I did before I was imprisoned. 

“Psst,” James whispered. “Halo,”

“James,” I replied, not meeting his focus and my voice low through clenched teeth. “I’m trying to write down some notes so I don’t flunk the next test,” That was partly true: I was attempting to learn trigonometry, but also, I was afraid if I met his gaze, my heart would leap out of my chest. 

“Miss Nelson,” I heard my name called. 

I whipped my head up, meeting the teacher’s eyes. She stared at me like a lion about to devour a mouse. She was ready for me, to get the answer to what she would ask me, wrong. I can only hope I can spare myself from embarrassment today. 

“Yes?” I asked. 

The teacher pointed to the board, where a triangle was drawn with side angles of A, B, C, and a, b, c. She gestured to the angle b. “What type of angle is this on the triangle?”

I stared at the board, trying to remember what it was. Angle b is the long one on the left side of the triangle. I know it starts with an H. What is it, Halo? Remember, remember! Come on…

“Is it…the hypotenuse?” 

My teacher’s eyes widened with shock. The whole classroom turned around and looked at me. I slid down in my seat, worried that I got it wrong. I felt a blush rising, but I tried to push it down. The last thing I want my class to see is me flushed. James turned around, more confused than surprised because he knows about as much as I do about trigonometry. 

“That is…” my teacher began. “Correct.”

“What?”

Her response sent murmurs throughout the class. I got it right? 

Oh my Lord, I got it right!

“Good job!” James whispered, lifting his hand up a little for a high-five.

I stared at his hand, hesitant to make contact with it again. After a second of contemplating, I slapped my hand into his, feeling a smack afterward. I don’t high-five lightly: I high-five hard. “Thanks,”

After Geometry, James and I walked out together. Surprisingly, Annie (who was clinging to Peter like a magnet) and Lissa were waiting outside the classroom for us. Lissa had a brighter smile on her face than usual, which worried me. She gets overly excited about too many things — things I could care less about. Like, the fall catalog for Vogue or the new Carrie Underwood workout clothing line. 

“What are you guys doing here?” I asked as James did a secret “guy handshake” with Peter. “Annie, you don’t have Geometry until third period. And, Lissa, you don’t have it until fifth.”

“We have big news!” Lissa squealed. 

Annie unhooked herself from Peter. I guess they’re in an actual relationship already, despite the fact they hadn’t even gone on a date yet. She pulled out her phone and after tapping some buttons, showed the screen to  James and me. “Watch,” was all she said. 

James and I stared at the screen. He was closer to me than I would have liked: I could feel his neck craned down, trying to capture what was on Annie’s phone. His breath blew against my ear, making me remember how short I am and how superior his tallness is. 

On the screen, I saw two high school students: one was short and the other was tall. The tall one was playing the guitar and the short one had a microphone, singing like an angel. I realized instantly that the song they were singing was the same song James and I sang for the concert. But then, I also realized the students weren’t just some strangers. 

They were us. 

I scrolled down on the screen and read the title of the video. It read: HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT WOWS CROWD WITH OUTSTANDING VOCALS. I scrolled down even further — over twenty-million views?!

“Wha–How?” I stumbled. “Who posted this on YouTube?”

Annie smirked as I handed her phone back to her. “Some student in the crowd was live-streaming it on Instagram and it got lots of views. Eventually, someone posted it on YouTube and it got even more views.”

Lissa beamed a smile. “You two are famous!”

James scoffed a little but said nothing. I almost spoke up but decided against it. Sometimes words are better unsaid. I guess James was using that logic now. 

“Does everyone know how many views this has?” I asked. 

“By everyone,” Annie begins, with a smug look on her face. “Do you mean…”

“You know perfectly well what I mean, Anneliese Gray,”

“Then, yes, everyone at school knows that you and James are internet famous,”

Again, James let out a scoff. I secretly rolled my eyes. What’s his deal?

“Do you know what this means?” she asked. 

I knew very well what this video could mean for me and James. We could end up as famous singers! We could be celebrities and everyone would know our names. James and I would be the center of attention. The two of us could be the stage the world shone its spotlight on. We could even be a duo! We could make music together and sing and play the piano every morning. That would be…amazing. 

It would be even better if we were together. 

But, I guess what I described practically envisions James and I as a couple. 

“Yes,” I said. “I know exactly what this means,”

James and I are going to be famous.