Chapter Two: 

Halo

The camera flashed all around me as I exited the limo. This was normal. It has been for nine years now. I do admit, it was overwhelming at first. When I was just a heartbroken sixteen-year-old girl stepping out of a limousine, with cameras flashing and reporters screaming everywhere, it was a lot. But, I have adapted. It’s all just background noise to me now. 

My driver helped me by the hand to step out. I took his hand gracefully like a cat, keeping my elegant mask over my face. When you’re famous, you have to be the prime example of beauty, excellence, grace, and elegance. It was a step up from being a JUVIE kid and a famous singer in a small high school. 

Andrew stepped out of the limo and stood beside me, taking my hand gently in his. I smiled when our fingers interlaced. I could feel the light of the camera when it captured the not-so-secret moment between us. Let’s see, that will probably get two-hundred thousand likes on Instagram by tomorrow morning, I retorted in my head. 

I adjusted the sunglasses over my eyes. Although it was meant to keep me hidden from a crowd, it was not entirely useful. I still wore them though. The flashes from the cameras seem to get brighter each day. Andrew and I walked down the carpeted walkway into the hotel I would be staying at while on tour. 

For now, I’m in L.A., I thought. Tomorrow, who knows?

I was at the hotel to meet with Larry about touring locations. Although he wouldn’t give me much information anyways. I was also here to record new singles. Ever since I became famous, I never had a permanent home. It was always changing. Or, as the executives like to call it, temporary

As we entered the hotel lobby, of course, there were more reporters with flashing cameras inside. They yelled questions to me that I would never reply to for the sake of the press. My bodyguards followed close behind me and Andrew, Lord forbid someone would try and do something chaotic. They were broad, strong-muscled, practically the prime image of a security team for a celebrity. 

The four of us stepped into the elevator, shutting out the mob from the outside. One of my bodyguards — Jake — pressed the button to the floor we were needed. We all stood in complete silence, which was also normal. Andrew still had a hold of my hand, which was normal as well. He was my fiance after all. 

I glanced at the ring on my left hand. The diamond winked in the light. 

Once we reached the hotel’s fifth floor, we were finally free from the press and exhaled a sigh of relief, the only noise that was made since we arrived. When we all stepped out of the elevator, Larry was waiting at a long table in the center of the room reserved for us. The whole floor was a business room for me, Andrew, my security, Larry, and all the other producers and music executives. I can’t wait for three hours of nonsense I don’t understand, I thought sarcastically. 

I sat down at the head of the table, Larry on my left, and Andrew on my right. The rest of the table was almost immediately filled with executives. I don’t care to memorize their names. They all looked the same: bored, posh, and dark. Larry was aging more every day: his hair was thinning drastically, his voice raspier, which caused him to cough a lot. I got worried about him sometimes, but he told me once that his health is one of my lowest priorities. 

“Okay,” Larry said, starting the meeting. “Let’s get this over with,” he teased. 

The group laughed in a monotone. I didn’t. I truthfully couldn’t wait to be free of this meeting. 

I was about to zone out when I saw one of the executives stand, but I immediately resumed focus when my vision caught a glance of my lawyer, Tia. She stood tall, mostly because of the heels she wore with a pantsuit. Her brown hair was pulled back into an elaborate bun, exposing her sun-kissed skin. 

“If I may interject,” Tia spoke, her manner more elegant than mine ever is. “I have some business to bring to the table other than music-related topics and financials.”

Larry nodded at her, giving her the floor. “Go ahead, Ms. Sanchez.”

Tia cleared her throat. “It seems that Halo’s…past has a possibility of being leaked.”

The whole room went silent. Me especially. I began spiraling. My entire career could end if the world knew I was a former delinquent. I have got so far in life. This has been my fear since the beginning. I thought Tia had covered it up. So that no one could find out about it except the people in this room. 

“What do you mean by possibility?” I blurted, my voice full of fear. “Has it been leaked already or does it have a potential chance?”

Tia stared back at me, full of confidence and inconsideration. “The documents exposing your juvenile past have a potential chance of being leaked onto the internet. Reporters and journalists could dig this up and use it against you. They haven’t been leaked yet, but there is a very strong chance it could be within the next few months.”

“How is this happening?” Larry asked. “I thought you and your tech-people used some sort of wizardry to keep it hidden.”

“You mean a firewall?” Tia replied, full of no remorse. 

“Whatever,”

My lawyer continued, ignoring Larry’s incompetence toward technology. “The firewall is becoming weaker, and my techs are having trouble trying to patch it up.”

“Well,” I spoke, folding my arms and leaning back in my chair. The tables have definitely turned today. I thought everything was going well. But, now there’s a chance my past in JUVIE could be exposed to everyone. This could ruin me. “How are you going to fix this, Tia?”

For once, I heard Tia laugh. 

“What?” I grumbled, waiting for even worse things to come. 

“Halo, you aren’t my problem anymore,”

The room went silent again. But, only for a moment.

Then there was yelling from all directions of the room. 

Executives screamed at Tia, Larry especially. I stayed quiet until the room started to as well. Finally, it did when Andrew whistled. I covered my ears for protection, especially since he was right beside me. The room went silent once more. Once Tia had protected her ears from Andrew’s surprisingly high whistle, she continued to steer the conversation of the meeting. 

“What do you mean I’m not your problem?” I asked, once all the executives sat down. 

Tia straightened her jacket. “I mean, I got another offer at a firm for more money. Lot’s more.”

“We’ll double your pay!” Larry blurted. 

“Larry!” I scolded. 

“How much money are they going to pay you?” one of the executives asked. 

Tia leaned in their ear and whispered it to them. Their eyes widened with shock. “Wow,” they mouthed, almost inaudible. 

“Sorry, Halo,” Tia said as she began to walk to the elevator, her heels clicking. “You have to take care of this on your own.” 

And with her final words, the elevator dinged. She climbed in, the doors shutting her away.