Here’s a link in case you want to hear the original song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo86mlxZvA

(you can listen to it as you reading the singing parts. ALL RIGHTS BELONG TO THE OWNER OF THE VIDEO)

E N J O Y ! ! ✌🏻👋🏻🤘🏻

Chapter Fifteen: 

James struck the opening chorus of the song. As soon as his pick touched the strings, the audience immediately figured out what song we were singing. The crowd screamed and yelled crazily with happiness and excitement. There was a microphone at the center of the stage. James walked toward it as he continued to play the guitar. 

“Tell me somethin’ girl. Are you happy in this modern world? Or do you need more? Is there somethin’ else you’re searchin’ for?” James sang beautifully in his low, angelic voice. He took in a deep breath before continuing. “I’m falling. In all the good times I find myself longin’ for change,” Another inhale. “And in the bad times I fear myself.”

He plucked his guitar some more, leading up to my part in the song. I took in a breath before I walked up to the mic and began to sing. I’m doing this. I’m doing this for real. No one is going to stop me. 

“Tell me somethin’ boy. Aren’t you tired tryin’ to fill that void? Or do you need more? Ain’t it hard keepin’ it so hardcore?” The crowd was already cheering for me as soon as I started singing. I continued with my part of the duet. “I’m falling. In all the good I find myself longin’ for change. And in the bad times I fear myself.” I inhaled the biggest breath I had taken the whole night. I got ready to belt. 

“I’m off the deep end, watch as I dive in. I’ll never meet the ground. Crash through the surface, where they can’t hurt us. We’re far from the shallow now” James and I met at the mic, our faces inches apart. With the two of us, our voices in unison were the most beautiful thing I had probably ever heard. “In the sha-ha-sha-ha-low. In the sha-ha-sha-la-la-la-low. In the sha-ha-sha-ha-ha-low.We’re far from the shallow now”

I got my voice all high and loud for the next part — my solo. “Wooaaaah. Woaaaaaaaaaaah.” Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw James smirk when I hit the high note. He must be really impressed. The only other time he’s heard me belt was during choir auditions. “I’m off the deep end, watch as I dive in. I’ll never meet the ground. Crash through the surface, where they can’t hurt us. We’re far from the shallow now.”

We met at the microphone again, our voices joining together in harmony. Our faces were inches apart — so close I could feel his breath. “In the sha-ha-sha-ha-low. In the sha-ha-sha-la-la-la-low.” At this moment, I wasn’t thinking about how my mother was going to literally kill me with her bare hands: I was thinking about how wonderful this memory will be. I got to sing with my friend, and belt, and amaze the crowd. 

James and I were still so close that I could reach out and touch him. I was smiling and so was he. We were having the best time just…singing. Singing and being around each other. I feel like whenever we’re together, life just seems…easier. It almost seems better. 

We wrapped up our duet with a final repeat of the chorus. “In the sha-ha-sha-ha-ha-low. We’re far from the shallow now.” And with that, James ended our song with the final strumming of his guitar. 

The two of us took a bow and the crowd clapped even louder than before. The spotlight was shining on us: James was glistening with sweat (and so was I). Who would have thought my first official performance would be me and a guy singing a Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper cover? Nevertheless, who would have thought my first show I would be wearing an oversized Levi’s shirt with jeans?

When James and I exited off the stage, I saw Annie and Lissa clapping for us and smiling happily. I also gazed over and saw Alice Anne and her partner. Alice was wearing a dress way too tight for my taste, but besides that, she was pouting (crossed arms, quiver and all). She knew I had won the battle. 

But I saw the fire in her green, deafening eyes. I had won the battle, but no one has won the war yet. 

Just as my happiness had gone over the roof, I faced my mother who was far from my current emotion. She had her arms crossed and had the angriest look on her face. I hunched my shoulders and bowed my head, getting ready for the scolding in front of everyone.

“Go ahead,” I blurted. “Withdraw my enrollment. But hear this, Mother,” I popped my head up to meet her gaze. “Either way, I got what I wanted: I got to sing and perform. That’s all I ever wanted to reach my happiness. So, you got what you wished for: you get to see me unhappy.”

Mom’s face softened. “I’m not going to withdraw your enrollment, Halo.”

“What?” 

Everyone else’s eyes widened at the mention of it. I cleared my throat. “Why did you decide not to?”

“Halo, you were…amazing,” she confessed. “I know I was being overprotective, but I was only thinking about you. I wanted you to succeed in life. But, I guess I got a little carried away. So, for that, I’m sorry. I hope you can forgive me,”

I smiled and hugged her. “Of course I forgive you. You’re my mom.”

When we released, she said, “I’m obviously fine with you participating in choir and doing these concerts, but you have to promise me to get your grades back up too. Can you promise me that?”

“Yes,” I replied. “I would do anything to do that again,”

“Wait,” Lissa interjected, speaking up. “So does Halo get to stay here at East Valley?”

Everyone groaned at Lissa’s dumb question. But my mom turned her direction anyway and said, “Halo will continue to learn at East Valley,”

Everyone cheered and jumped. James even came and lifted me up in his arms, which I was a little uncomfortable with, but I was too happy to care. When he placed me down, James and I hugged. Some people might have said it was weird for a guy and a girl to hug just as friends, but I didn’t think it was awkward. I actually thought it was…nice. 

When we released, we looked at each other and smiled. Nothing would ruin this moment for me. Everything is perfect: I get to stay at East Valley, I get to continue singing, and I got to perform on stage in front of hundreds of people. My life feels accomplished, but at the same time, it feels like I’ve only completed a fraction of it. 

James drove me home after the concert. For some reason, Mom had pardoned me for stealing her car on multiple occasions. I was originally going to ride with Annie and Lissa, but James asked me and I told him yes. 

James’ car is an Audi just like Annie’s, but it’s silver. The two of us sat in mostly silence, which isn’t right because we just spent so much time together performing. He kept his eyes on the road, never breaking his gaze off the signs. James’ hands gripped the hands with such ease. I need to get my license someday. 

“Tonight was….amazing,” I finally said, breaking the silence. 

“It was,” he replied, not looking at me. 

I could tell something was wrong. I could tell he wasn’t telling me something. 

“Man, Alice was mad when she saw us perform,” I forced a chuckle, just remembering the look on her face. 

James smiled, but it didn’t meet his eyes. “Yeah, she was livid. I was afraid she was going to claw her acrylic nails at you,”

I burst out a little laughter. “I’d break her nails before she laid them on me,”

“I know you would,”

By now, we were in my driveway. James pulled up, his headlights shining against the garage door in the dark night. He hit a button on his side of the car, unlocking the passenger door. I was just about to get out when James exited the car first and ran to the other side to open mine. 

“Oh, you’re doing this?” I mused as I got out of the car. 

“You know, normal women say ‘thank you’ when a man opens a door for them,”

“I’m not a normal woman,”

“That you are,”

I stood up and our gazes met. Obviously, we weren’t the same height (I’m five two and James is six foot) so our eyes weren’t meeting directly. Still, it felt as if we were both tall, skinny, British people whose paths were made to cross. James’ eyes were strangely shining bright for it to be night. We were close — close like when we were performing. I could feel the exhale of his breath. 

I was about to walk inside the house, when I decided to ask, “Is something bothering you?”

James shrugged. “Nothing’s bothering me,” High voice. Liar. 

“James,” I replied, dipping my chin. “Tell me the truth,”

“It’s nothing,”

“I can tell when you’re lying, Mr. High Voice.”

“Really,” he said. “It’s nothing,”

I stood on my toes so I could face him directly. I squinted my chocolate-brown eyes into his ocean-blue irises. “James Middleton,” I demanded. “Tell me now or I won’t leave,”

“Oh man,” he teased. “I better tell you an excuse so you can stop hurting yourself by standing on your toes,” Just for that, I stepped on his foot. James winced. “Good Lord!”

I snickered. “Tell me!.”

“You’re stubborn, you know that, right?”

“Tell me something I don’t know,” I joked. “Now, spill,”

James sighed. “Okay,” he said.  

I nodded hesitantly, afraid of where this is going. 

“Halo, I love you,”

I almost elbowed him in the side, but I restrained myself from doing so. Something about his tone sounded sincere — genuine. Our eyes met in the starry night. Almost — almost — for a second, things seemed like there was more to our relationship. It seemed like we were more than friends for a moment. 

We leaned into each other, our lips inches from touching. I almost kissed him. We almost kissed. But then, out of nowhere, James started laughing. I elbowed him in the side. 

“I thought you were serious!” I yelled. 

His laughter ceased. “Hey, I know my charms work on you now.”

“They don’t!”

“You almost kissed me, Halo Nelson. Most girls would put a knife in your heart to have that moment,”

“It wasn’t a ‘moment’ because nothing happened, James.”

He chuckled giddily. “We’ll pretend you’re right,”

“Man, what girl wouldn’t want to date a guy who says he loves her but he really doesn’t?” I mused jokingly. 

James headed back to his car. When he twisted the key into the ignition, he rolled his window down and yelled, “I love you, Halo Nelson!”

“Yeah, right!” I called back. “I love you, James Middleton!” I yelled, just for jokes. 

We both laughed. Even as James backed out of my driveway and made his way onto the road. I walked inside the house and went upstairs to my room to get changed. I quickly changed into an even bigger shirt and sweatpants. I flopped onto my bed and scrolled through Instagram. It wasn’t even ten minutes after he left when James texted me. 

James: Regarding our undying love for each other, I just wanted to say u were amazing tonight. Ur singing was beautiful. I was a stud on the guitar though ;)

I chuckled at his message. James always has a way with jokes over text and in real life. I replied back: 

U were great too. Just gotta say though, I was totally stellar when I hit the note just like Lady Gaga ;)

James sent back a crying with laughter emoji. I sent back the same, but then I sent another message saying good night. 

James: Good night. Hey, can you meet me in the music room before school tmr?

I tilted my head when I read the message. Why does he want to meet in the music room? We performed at the concert, why else would he want to be in there?

Sure. What’s the occasion?

James: It’s a surprise ;)