(THE PICTURE IN THE FEATURED IMAGE DOES NOT BELONG TO ME. ALL RIGHTS GO TO THEIR RIGHTFUL OWNERS)

Hello Everyone!!

Just recently, I finished the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard! It was a tough obstacle to overcome because I LOVED the series. I would read it a million times if I got the chance to. But, I had more books on my list I wanted to read. And there still is. One of the books (and series’) was The Selection series by Kiera Cass, which is what I will be reviewing today!

THE SELECTION – MY REVIEW

(this is from the jacket of the book)

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of gleaming gowns and priceless jewels. To love in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn’t want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she’s made for herself — and realizes that the life she’s always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

“Quotes…”

“No, I’m not choosing him or you. I’m choosing me.”- America Singer

“If you don’t want me to be in love with you, you’re going to have to stop looking so lovely. First thing tomorrow I’m having your maids sew some potato sacks together for you.” – Maxon Schreave

“Listen to me, kitten. Win or lose, you’ll always be a princess to me.” – Shalom Singer

“I’ve met nearly every woman in this room, and I can’t think of one who would make a better friend. I’d be glad to have you stay.”

My relief was inexpressible.

“Do you think,” Maxon asked, “That I could still call you ‘my dear’?”

“Not a chance.” I whispered.” – America Singer & Maxon Schreave

“Our friendship–if I could even call it that–was obviously awkward and flawed, but at least it was honest. ” – America Singer

RATING!!

To be honest, I think I’m becoming a book snob 😂 Yes, I still and always will enjoy reading, but after I finished reading the Red Queen series, I found it hard to EMBRACE the Selection like I normally would have any other book. Yes, I liked the book a lot, but it reminds me of Twilight.

“bUt aLiViA, wHy iS iT bAd iF iT rEmInDs yOu oF tWiLiGhT?”

Haha, thank you for asking that random viewer! To be honest, I’m not really a big fan of the Twilight series…

“WHATTTTTTTTTTT!!!!” 😱😨😱😨😱😨

Okay, okay. Let me explain myself really quick. Yes, I liked Twilight, but I feel like it had nothing special to it besides the love triangle between Bella, Edward, and Jacob. I mean, yeah, there was a supposed war between them and the really old vampire who lead in Italy (and I forget what they were called), but there wasn’t even any fighting. At least in the movie, you could’ve seen what the possible outcome of the war would have been (ex. Carlisle’s death, some of the werewolf’s deaths, I think Esme’s death 🤷🏻‍♀️)

ANYWAY, sorry about that little rant about Twilight. Now, let’s get back to the Selection. So, I did like the book and I’m currently reading the second book of the series: The Elite, which has more intenseness in it than the first one. There is a love triangle going on in the story (which is why it reminds me of Twilight) between America, Aspen, and Maxon. I think that’s what is luring me further into the storyline. That, and also I know who she’s gonna end up with 😉

Now, without further ado, I give the Selection a rating of…

9/10!!

Like I said, I really liked the book. I didn’t say this before, but I really like the setting. It’s supposed to be taking place hundreds of years from the present. So, it’s saying that the U.S. is no longer formed due to a third and fourth world war. It actually kind of creeps me out the way it was invaded because to me it sounds like how the United States will fall in the future. BUT ANYWAY, I love the romance and the monarchy because that’s what I usually enjoy in books.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this review! Have a great day & stay tuned for chapter four of The Fall of an Empire! Bye!!

-Alivia😇💙✌🏻